Thursday, March 13, 2014

12 Years a Slave - 150+ years later....



Last night I watched the award-winning “12 Years a Slave” and was brought to sobbing tears.  Something deep in my soul was touched and I could not stop the tears from flowing.  I’ve seen many films on slavery, but just like watching Mel Gibson’s “Passion of the Christ”, never have I seen it depicted in a way that threw me into actually feeling the misery of slavery that I experienced last night.

In my younger years, I lived in a town about 20 miles outside Detroit.  It was the mid-1960’s and our nation was in the midst of violent times.  Being so young, I never understood what I saw on the news each night.  I never realized how close we were to the violence around us.  I lived in a community where whites and blacks lived comfortably next to each other.  We played together.  We had slumber parties together.  Fear was never in the mix.  But something changed during that time.  I saw and felt the fear in my parent’s eyes.  Suddenly, for one week in the summer of 1967, we were not allowed to be out past 6:00 p.m. on hot summer nights.  No hide and seek.  No flashlight tag.   My mother wanted to know where we were all the time.  We had to play in our own backyard instead of our usual bike adventures throughout the neighborhood.  I was confused as to why things changed.   I was 7-years-old at the time and along with my sisters and brothers, the army of children we played with outside our home never posed a threat to any of us and vice versa.  It wasn’t until I became older that I asked my Mother about her fear during that turbulent summer.  She simply said, “We were not afraid of the children, we were concerned about what the adults would do.”  It was a simple answer but it carried a huge stick.

That week in July, 1967, shaped my life in many ways.  My parents left an indelible etch in my soul with their reactions to the events swirling around us.  Fear is gripping and powerful.  It keeps us from injury, but, if allowed, it also keeps us locked in to thoughts/behaviors and locks us out of growth and change.  Even though my little heart loved all my friends of different color, my mind could not erase the fear my parents experienced, and I witnessed firsthand.   As days and years went by, I remember a sense of insecurity that arose within me whenever I visited friends homes. Being young, I was trapped with a feeling I could not explain, but it was palpable.  Things had changed and I did not feel as safe any longer.  Time went by, and I socialized less with my black friends.  I did not even realize it either.  It was something that seemed to have a natural process to it.  It did not happen overnight, but the distance nonetheless did happen.  The strange thing is it happened on both sides.  My black friends distanced themselves as well.  There were no longer the fun summer times exploring our turf together.  It became more like “us” and “them” and none of us knew how to stop it.  It’s as if an invisible screen was put up between us.  A seemingly do-not-cross line was drawn in the sand. Perhaps a screen of skepticism or distrust had invaded our lives without permission.  I do not believe in my heart it happened knowingly.  No, it was much more subtle, elusive and destructive.  It was to become the pattern that I showed my children at times when they were growing up.  Be leery; be cautious around those that are not like us.  Be guarded when in unfamiliar settings.  It was, once again, that fear of the unknown.  The fear of not what I would do, but what others could do to me.  It grew out of the mustard seed planted in my youth by parents who did not instinctively realize how much their influence would be passed on to their children.

So as I watched the movie last night, a well-spring of tears flowed not because I had never realized how damaging slavery was, but more about the injustice of ignorance that people follow even today.  Slavery still binds our minds.  It still inflicts its intolerance in the world around us.  We see nations fighting; wars started and people killing people because they have not opened their minds to the possibility of freedom through accepting others even when they are different than ourselves.  That is the most wicked form of slavery, I believe, because we are not always clear and aware of its insidious nature within ourselves.  It wraps around our heart like a coiled snake ready to rear its head and puncture our soul with venom.  And the very sad part is often we react in behaviors taught to us long ago.  Sometimes we don’t even realize we harbor ill thoughts toward one another until the moment it happens.  

This movie’s profound impact moved me in ways I have only experienced a handful of times in my life.  It left me with questions that only I can ask of myself.  Do I harbor destructive feelings and thoughts toward others deep within me?  When prompted, how do I respond to injustice when I see it happening?  Just like slavery, World War II brought about mass annihilation to millions of Jewish people while the world watched and did very little at the beginning to stop the gruesome crimes against humanity.  What would I have done if I lived in those times?  What would I have done if I had been in the audience while Jesus’ body was being destroyed at the cross?  I like to think I would have had the gumption to take a stand, but no one truly knows what we are made of until those moments happen to us, do we?   Not even the Apostles were there to help Jesus when His time came.  They scattered to the wind when they were faced with what was happening. 

We live in a world that can be grim and foreboding, but my hope and prayer is that my one life will be a life filled with compassion and kindness to everyone I meet in this journey even if it feels uncomfortable or unfamiliar to me.  I pray I can overcome past experiences that left me with dark markings about others.  That is my responsibility to this world.  That no matter what challenges I face, I face them with honesty and integrity to do the right thing even when others do not reciprocate or turn their faces away.  That is the light I carry within me.  That is the light I desire to leave this world when my time comes.

"No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light.”  Luke 11:33

No comments: